Castles and Historic Houses
- Barnard Castle Barnard Castle was built on a fine defensive site in 1125, and is in the care of English Heritage. Open to the public.
- Brough Castle The history of Brough Castle, Cumbria, England.
- Callendar House A tourist information page which features several photos of the exhibits at Callendar House.
- Castle Howard The official Castle Howard web site. Includes a history of the Howard family, information regarding construction of the house, photos of the gardens and more.
- Crichton Castle A magnificent castle in Scotland's countryside with bold renaissance decoration carved in the interior courtyard stonework. Includes a diagram showing construction eras.
- Edinburgh Castle A concise history of Edinburgh Castle from the excellent CastleXplorer site.
- Hermitage Castle The history of Hermitage Castle, near Newcastleton, Roxburghshire, Scotland. Includes a separate page about Mary Queen of Scot's visit there.
- Langley Castle Langley Castle is a 14th Century castle nestling in the Northumbrian valley of the South Tyne. Privately owned hotel and spa.
- Linlithgow Palace The royal palace of Scottish Kings and Queens. The earliest reference to this large castle is dated 1301.
- Merchant Adventurers' Hall The story of the Merchant Adventurer's Hall, York, including visitor information. Part of the York Guide from Britain Express.
- Stirling Castle Includes photographs taken in March 1999 when the scaffolding around the Great Hall of Stirling Castle was starting to be removed after a major refurbishment.
- Traquair House A tour of Traquair Castle, originally owned by the kings of Scotland. It later became the home of the Earls of Traquair and is still lived in by their descendants, the Maxwell Stuart family.
Also on Mostly Medieval:
Exploring the Middle Ages
Research articles about life in the Middle Ages. Ballads, religion, heraldry, medicine and more.
In the Exploring the Middle Ages section.
Backgrounds, letters, avatars and more for websites, blogs, and newsletters. Desktop wallpapers for personal use.
In the Downloads section.
The Merkat Cross
Books for all ages, movies, costumes for Halloween and Ren Faire, music and more – all related to the Middle Ages.
In the The Merkat Cross section.