The Merkat Cross Site Map
Fiction Trilogies and other series are featured on a separate page.
- Early Readers Early readers are classified as ages 4-8, though most selections in this section are appropriate "read aloud" books for any age.
- Middle Grades Middle Grade readers are classified as ages 9-12, though some featured selections are appropriate for advanced Early readers, and enjoyed by Young Adult readers and some adults.
- Young Adults Young Adult readers are classified as ages 12-15, though some featured selections are appropriate for advanced Middle Grade readers, and enjoyed by some adults.
- Historical Fiction for Adults - Some selections are appropriate for mature Young Adults.
- Arthurian Fiction The many worlds of Avalon, Camelot, King Arthur, Guinnevere, Lancelot and the Knights of the Round Table. For adults and mature Young Adults.
- Fairy and Folk Tales Fairy and folk tales from England, Scotland and Ireland. Includes some non-fiction titles for further study of these classic stories. Selections for all ages.
- Ballads and Literature Popular ballads and early literature from England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales and France. For adults and mature Young Adults.
Non-Fiction General overviews and in-depth studies of subjects relating to life in the Middle Ages. For adults and Young Adults.
- Art, Textiles and Clothing Fashion, tapestries, illuminated manuscripts and an exploration of medieval, Celtic and Byzantine art and ornamentation.
- Arthurian Study Scholarly examinations of King Arthur, Camelot, the Knights of the Round Table and The Holy Grail in legend and history
- Crusades and Crusaders The history of the Crusades and crusading warfare. Includes books on the Knights Templar in the Holy Lands and Great Britain.
- Fabulous Beasts Fabulous beasts in folklore, legend and myth. Dragons, unicorns, fairies and more.
- Festivals and Holy Days The history of the celebration of Christian, Pagan and Celtic holy days and festivals.
- General Medieval Study Middle Ages history research books including life in castles, towns, and cities, technology, work and more.
- Heraldry The history of heraldry, including sources, symbolism, traditional and contemporary use.
- Medicine Includes scholarly examinations of the of medicine in the Middle Ages; healing plants, medical practices, remedies and more.
- Myth and Legend Celtic mythology, spirituality and lore. Gods and goddesses, the Green Man and more.
- Religion and Philosophy The history of the medieval church, including monasticism, saints, cathedrals, philosophy, spirituality and more.
- Tactics and Armies Warfare in the Middle Ages, including siege, infantry, combat and naval warfare.
- Weapons and Armor Longbows, crossbows, siege machines, knights' weapons, swordsmanship and more.
- UK Travel and History: Travel guides, British history and more for travelers to and aficionados of Great Britain.
- Non-Fiction for Children Recommended by teachers, librarians and homeschooling moms for introducing children to the Middle Ages, or for further exploration for those who have an interest in the era.
- Activity and Crafts:
- Clip Art An affordable selection of permission-free medieval and Celtic clip art books for web sites, newsletters and more.
- Coloring Books Celtic motifs, daily life in the Middle Ages, dragons, unicorns and more. For children of all ages.
- Other Activities and Crafts For all ages. Stickers, castle models, Celtic drawing, medieval-related needlework, woodwork, calligraphy and more.
Films Movies and films relating to the medieval era, in DVD platform. Categorized by MPA rating guidelines. To read more about MPA ratings, visit the Motion Picture Association website.
- Rated G Movies and films rated "G" by the Motion Picture Association of America are suitable for all ages.
- Rated PG The Motion Picture Association of America suggests parental guidance due to some content which may not be suitable for younger children.
- Rated PG-13 The Motion Picture Association of America suggests parental guidance due to some content which may not be suitable for children under age 13.
- Rated R Contains adult content. The Motion Picture Association does not recommend viewing of R-rated films by persons under the age of 17, without being accompanied by a parent or adult guardian.
- Not-rated Not-Rated (NR) films do not carry a rating by the MPA. Some may have been produced before content ratings were adopted; some may have been originally produced for television. Some NR films may contain adult content.
- Early Music Chant, plainsong, troubadours, dance and more from medieval Britain and France. Authentic music from the Middle Ages.
- Traditional Folk and Celtic Traditional folk songs from England, Scotland and Ireland performed by some of the most prolific, awarded and respected artists of the genre.
- Contemporary and New Age Haunting and evocative, passionate and rollicking. The best in Celtic rock and Celtic- or medieval-flavored New Age, featuring well-known veterans and talented newcomers to the genre.
- Soundtracks and Original Cast Recordings Broadway musicals and films relating to the Middle Ages. Film scores, soundtracks and original cast recordings.
- Christmas and Yule Traditional Yule and Christmas music from bygone eras. Includes chant, chorale, carols, Celtic and New Age recordings for the winter holiday season.
Costumes Medieval themed costumes, clothing and accessories; great for Halloween, parties, plays and Renaissance fairs.
- Costumes for Children Princesses, kings, princes, officially licensed ©Disney and Barbie™ Princess costumes, Lord of the Rings™ and more in Toddler and Child sizes.
- Costumes for Women Medieval and Renaissance costume ensembles and separates such as bodices, chemises and gathered skirts for women, including Plus sizes.
- Costumes for Men Medieval and Renaissance costume ensembles and separates such as shirts, vests and breeches for men, including Plus sizes.
- Hats, Crowns and Wigs Medieval and Renaissance themed costume accessories for adults and children – hats, crowns, tiaras, wigs, and beards.
- Weapons and Armor Medieval and Renaissance themed costume accessories for adults and children – shields, armor, swords and other weapons.
- Capes, Cloaks and Shoes Medieval and Renaissance themed costume accessories for adults and children – capes, cloaks, shoes and boots.
- Masks and Other Finishing Touches Medieval and Renaissance themed costume accessories for adults and children – Venetian masks, fairy wings and more.
Magazines Magazines with featured articles about England, Scotland, military history, travel, herbs and more. Subscriptions provided by MAGAZINES.com, the oldest, the largest, and the most dependable magazine subscription service on the Internet.
Also on Mostly Medieval:
Exploring the Middle AgesResearch articles about life in the Middle Ages. Ballads, religion, heraldry, medicine and more.
In the Exploring the Middle Ages section.
DownloadsBackgrounds, letters, avatars and more for websites, blogs, and newsletters. Desktop wallpapers for personal use.
In the Downloads section.
Travels in the UKTravelogue of a journey through northern England and Southern Scotland. Visits to castles, cathedrals, ruins and more.
In the Travels in the UK section.